Monday, June 29, 2009

Lend A Helping Hand

Last night, I was at Bride #6's apartment super late helping her and her fiance fold and prepare their programs. The wedding is this Saturday! Our backs hurt from hunching over the table (we're getting old), our fingers were numb from hole punching, folding and using a bone folder to make a sharp crease...however we got it all done! It wasn't the most luxurious of bridesmaid duties, but it needed to get done. Bride #6 has been a little stressed before she leaves for her wedding weekend, so I wanted to do what I could to help her out.

This morning I got the nicest, sweetest most sincere e-mail from Groom #6 thanking me for helping them out last night. I hope he doesn't mind that I quote him here. He wrote "It is really easy to help someone when they want to go shopping but it isn't always easy to help someone when they need to do something as tedious, time-consuming, and torturous as program building." While I wouldn't say it was torture last night, because I did get to spend some quality time with the happy couple, I am sharing this story to remind all of you that you should always offer your help to the bride. It's true- we all volunteer to look at wedding gowns or go shoe shopping, but it's rare that we want to give up a beautiful sunny day to do something laborious. Just keep this in mind the next time your bride is stressing out about everything she needs to do. Trust me, she'll be so thankful!

Happy Bridesmaiding!

No comments: